Sir John whose real name was Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie passed away today, July 1 at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra after he tested positive for COVID-19 and was admitted at the facility for treatment.
The death of the NPP bigwig at a time the party is few months away from being contested in the 2020 general elections has thrown many Ghanaians especially party faithfuls into state of mourning.
However, there are some few facts you may not know about the late Sir John and GhanaVanguard.com as usual has compiled a list of some of the facts you should know about the man. Below are the facts;
- Sir John was how he was popularly known as and called but his real name was Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie.
- He died of covid-19.
- He was born in the Ashanti Region. He was an Ashanti.
- Sir John was a lawyer by profession.
- He was the General Secretary of the ruling party, NPP from 2010 to 2014 at a time the party was in opposition.
- Sir John was the Head of Legal Services at Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) and later became Acting Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the same organization. All this took place under the Kuffour Adminitration.
- He was the CEO of the Forestry Commission at the time of his sudden demise.
- He rejected an appointment by President Akufo Addo to head the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GHAPOHA) because of his fear of sea.
- He planned to bury is late mother and his late sister in August this year but unfortunately, he joined them today.
May he rest in peace.