A young man, named Divine Puplampu has narrated how his dying close relative who is currently in coma was left to die when the advanced hospitals in Accra all refused to admit him for treatment.
According to the young man, the hospitals refused to admit his relative due to shortage of hospital beds in some of the hospitals and also, covid-19 fumigation exercise ongoing at other hospitals.
In a lengthy facebook post sighted by GhanaVanguard.com, Divine indicated that he called all the provided phone numbers on Ghana Health Service and Ministry of Health official websites in order to see if he can get recommendation to a hospital where bed is available. All these, according to Divine were in vain as his calls went unpicked.
“Korlebu Teaching Hospital – They said No bed. They can’t handle the case I described now. They took my number and promised to call when there is is free bed,” part of his narration reads.
“37 – ICU not taking new patients…because Emergency unit is closed down for fumigation until 4th February,” he added.
Read his full narration below
A very close relative who is diabetic has been unwell for almost 3 weeks now. He has been on admission at a District Hospital.
His condition has been on and off. COVID result came out negative. His situation is worsening since the past 72 hours. He has been on coma since 11am yesterday (Monday).
We have been trying to get a referral to a “higher” and “more advanced” hospital.
– First point of call was UGMC. First they said no bed in Emergency Unit. They are swamped with COVID cases. Perhaps the Doctor from the District Hospital may not have explained the urgency of the issue via phone. So I went to UGMC myself to see if they will understand the urgency of the matter via a face-to-face explanation (of course a socially distanced conversation). It turned out the case is an ICU one. Not emergency. Now when we got in touch with ICU too they say they are closed for fumigation.
Then a marathon of calls began:
– Korlebu Teaching Hospital – They said No bed. They can’t handle the case I described now. They took my number and promised to call when there is is free bed.
– 37 – ICU not taking new patients…because Emergency unit is closed down for fumigation until 4th February.
– Trust Hospital – They can’t handle my case. They recommended Korlebu
– Greater Accra Regional Hospital (Ridge) – Called Several times no answer.
– Tried all phone numbers on Ghana Health Service website to see if they can connect me to any available Hospital. No answer.
– Phone number on Ministry of Health, Ghana website not working.
Now I am more than frustrated! His situation is deteriorating. Time is of the essence.
Health in this country is shit! Until you experience the frustration, you will think all those social media posts and radio discussions are noise.
Our leaders have failed us. Unfortunately when the President or Politician is in a critical state, we will find bed for them. As if they are more human than others.
Oh I almost forgot. You remember those Ambulances we got recently and made political noise about them. If they need to transport you…..be ready to fuel it wai. We were told if any of the “bigger” hospitals agree on referral, we should be ready to fuel the Ambulance for transport! Meanwhile our Politicians always get free weekly fuel to drive in their 5.8 Litre Engine cars….for luxury!